1. It’s the first King’s day since the beginning of this tradition.
Since 1885, when this practice started, 3 queens were celebrated: Wilhelmina, Juliana and finally Queen Beatrix who abdicated last year in favor of her son. But if you think the Queens’ era has come to an end, rest assured this is far from the truth. The current Queen, Maxima, is in fact way more famous and popular than the King. Plus they have 3 daughters, so apparently Dutch are meant to be ruled by women 🙂
2. There is no other National Day more casual than this.
If other countries commemorate crucial historical events during their national days, like Independence form Great Britain (4th July, USA) or the beginning of the Revolution (14th July, France), the Dutch are more casual. They just celebrate, well, the birthday of the king… And like every birthday boy, he is present at every party in town.
3. They just do it better.
In all honesty, all monarchies celebrate the birthdays of their queens and kings, but some have more style…
4. It’s a weird and sweet day, both at the same time.
Weird because until 2013, the Queen’s Day was celebrated on April the 30th, which was in fact the birthday of her mother. Sweet because the Queen was born in January and didn’t want her people to freeze to death while celebrating her.
Weird because in 2014, the King’s Day was officially announced on April 26th, although the king is in fact born on April 27th. Sweet because the King gave the people an extra day (Sunday, the 27th) to recover from the hangover of the Saturday.
5. It’s the paradise of the flea markets’ lovers.
There are flea markets everywhere. And you can buy anything. I mean, anything that you can think of.
6. Everybody is exercising a healthy lifestyle. If a healthy lifestyle means drinking a lot.
All the people are very outdoorsy today, walking in the streets and yes, drinking.
You can smoke weed everywhere. Need I say more?
8. Because you can actually run into this.
9. Everybody gets to be King and Queen for one day.
10. Everybody is included in the party: either young, old, weird or .. wasted.
11. The boat parties are the most fun in the world.
12. You’ll definitely feel “forever young”.
And as my friend said, if some other nation were interested, the King’s Day would also be the best day to invade Netherlands.
See, even that phrase has the word “best” in it! 🙂 Long live the King!