1. There is no other National Day more casual than this.
If other countries commemorate crucial historical events during their national days, like Independence form Great Britain (4th July, USA) or the beginning of the Revolution (14th July, France), the Dutch are more casual. They just celebrate, well, the birthday of the king… And like every birthday boy, he is present at every party in town.
2. They just do it better.
In all honesty, all monarchies celebrate the birthdays of their queens and kings, but some have more style…
3. It’s the paradise of the flea markets’ lovers.
There are flea markets everywhere. And you can buy anything. I mean, anything that you can think of.
4. Everybody is exercising a healthy lifestyle. If a healthy lifestyle means drinking a lot.
All the people are very outdoorsy today, walking in the streets and yes, drinking.
You can smoke weed everywhere. Need I say more?
6. Because you can actually run into this.
7. Everybody gets to be King and Queen for one day.
8. Everybody is included in the party: either young, old, weird or .. wasted.
9. The boat parties are the most fun in the world.
10. You’ll definitely feel “forever young”.
And as my friend said, if some other nation were interested, the King’s Day would also be the best day to invade Netherlands.
See, even that phrase has the word “best” in it! 🙂 Long live the King!